15 March 2010

Why I Coach

My Personal Philosophy of Coaching

As a leader and mentor for the Team, I have a personal responsibility to the individual Player, the Parents, and to the Community. This responsibility rests solely with me. It does not start or stop; whether I am on the field or off.

It is this:

My philosophy is quite simple; to share with the individual the fundamentals of the game while inspiring them to achieve their goals and become the players they desire to be. With my guidance, they will learn they can do much more than they thought possible.

With safety and respect as underlying themes, I want to see them armed with the tools they will need to build a positive mental advantage; a winning attitude under any condition. In a safe environment and with proper nuturing each player can find in themselves the desire, determination, drive, and dedication they need to achieve their goals in the sport and quite possibly the other facets of their lives. It is my goal to show them they already have what it takes, inside of them. I want each Player, their Parents, and maybe the Community to feel the player has left my field a fundamentally better player, and ultimately a better person because of what they have learned while in my presence.

I owe this as a debt of gratitude to the many Coaches, officially sanctioned or otherwise, that have played a big part in my life. They gave me the desire to pass on this gift to the next generations; expecting nothing in return, other than the internal satisfaction of knowing that someday, somewhere down the line, one of them might carry a little bit of what they learned with me to the next player.

Darron Collins

March, 2010

No comments: